1. Home
  2. Every Hoya Cares
  3. I need immediate help for myself or someone else at Georgetown.

I need immediate help for myself or someone else at Georgetown.

Immediate intervention (calling for help) is needed if you believe you or a friend, colleague or peer are in a life-threatening situation, are feeling violent and/or out of control, or you feel physically unsafe or in danger. To assess if there is danger, ask yourself if you think you or a peer may hurt yourself or someone else.

1 of 1

Who can I talk to if I am in a crisis? What if it is outside of business hours?

CAPS staff are available to students who are in crisis on a same-day basis by phone (202-687-6985) during business hours—when you call, let the receptionist know that you are in crisis and need to speak with a clinician. After hours you can still talk to the on-call clinician by calling the main CAPS number (202-687-6985) and following the options.

1 of 1

National Resources and Hotlines

Connect to public resources and non-Georgetown organizations specializing in interpersonal violence, substance abuse, eating disorders and other crisis response.

1 of 1

How can I help a survivor of interpersonal violence or sexual assault?

Address immediate safety concerns by finding out if the survivor is safe and has a safe place to stay. Confidential SARP clinicians can provide counseling support by scheduling an appointment at sarp@georgetown.edu. If you are concerned for their immediate safety, call 911, or GUPD (202-687-4343) and ask to speak with Sgt. Pearson and the Sexual Assault Response Team.

1 of 1

Medical Emergency Resources

Call Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Services (GERMS) at 202-687-4352. GERMS should be called whenever a person in the Georgetown community is sick, hurt, or scared about the health or well-being of another person. If necessary, GERMS will escort the community member to the nearest hospital emergency room.

1 of 1

Police Emergency Resources

  • Contact your local authorities by calling 911 or going to your local emergency room.
  • Call Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) at 202-687-4343. For the Sexual Assault Response Team, ask to be connected to Sgt. Pearson or the Sexual Assault Response Team.
1 of 1

Emergency Resources for Faculty and Staff

The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) can be reached between 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. at 202-687-2409 or fsap@georgetown.edu

If it is an emergency and you don’t connect with someone immediately, or if it is after hours and you need urgent care, please go to the nearest emergency room or call 911.