Picking a roommate can often be a stressful part of preparing to go to college. We’ve all heard a roommate horror story where a pairing ended pretty badly. But, rest assured, there are a plethora of ways to ensure that you have a relatively good experience with your roommate. Personally, I love my roommate. We’ve been roommates since our first year here at Georgetown, and we plan to continue to room together until we graduate—a true roommate-match made in heaven!
But how do you find your roommate? You have to ask the tough questions—and do it fast! Here are the top 10 questions to ask your prospective roommate(s) before committing to room together:
1. What are you looking for in a roommate—a bestie, friend, acquaintance?
2. Do you snore, sleep talk, or sleepwalk?
3. How do you feel about having friends/guests over during the day? How about during the night?
4. Do you like the room cold or hot?
5. What time do you normally wake up? What time do you normally go to bed?
6. Are you a light or heavy sleeper?
7. Do you set one or multiple alarms? If multiple, how many does it normally take for you to get out of bed?
8. Are you neat or messy or somewhere in between?
9. How quiet and dark do you need it to be while you sleep?
10.Would you want to share food/clothes? What type of boundaries do you want to set up in the room?
And now get asking! Good luck!