Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community,
Help make Georgetown a safer learning, living and working environment by participating in Personal Safety Week, beginning tomorrow, Monday, November 8th.
Throughout the week, you will have the opportunity to meet staff members from the Office of Emergency Management, Office of Neighborhood Life, Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD), Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service (GERMS), and others, and learn how you can work with them to address the safety matters important to you and our community. Featured events include:
Monday, November 8
- 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Officer Meet and Greet/Tabling (Red Square) with GUPD Crime Prevention and the Office of Emergency Management. Hot chocolate, water, Powerade, fruit and snacks will be provided to those who stop by to learn about safety and crime prevention.
- 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Bike Safety Training (Red Square). Come connect with the DC Bike Ambassador Program and enjoy a demo on basic bike functions/operations and safety resources/tips from the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA).
Tuesday, November 9
- 9 – 11 a.m.: Officer Meet and Greet, in partnership with the Office of Neighborhood Life (ONL) during Pop-Tart Tuesday (ONL, 36th and N Streets NW). Say hi to Jack the Bulldog, and chat with GUPD Officers and ONL staff. There will be Pop-Tarts, coffee and giveaways.
- 12 – 2 p.m.: Free Laptop & Bike Registration, Tabling (Southwest Quad) Get crime prevention tips and talk to Emergency Management Staff. There will be hot chocolate, bottled water, Powerade and assorted snacks for participants.
- 6 – 8 p.m.:Nighttime Safety Walk. Keep an eye out for GUPD and ONL Staff walking through the Georgetown neighborhood as they hand out safety information.
Wednesday, November 10
- 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Fire Safety and CPR Training (Healy Lawn). The Fire Marshall will demonstrate how to properly use a fire extinguisher and explain the importance of safety awareness. GERMS will be doing hands-on CPR training and recruiting for new GERMS members.
- 10 – 12 p.m.: Free Laptop & Bike Registration (Healy Lawn). Come enjoy some hot chocolate, cold drinks, and snacks.
- 1 – 3 p.m.: Run-Hide-Fight Active Shooter Response Training (Healy Lawn) sign-up. (GUPD offers “Run.Hide.Fight” training to campus organizations, departments and groups designed to help you prepare and make decisions on how to keep safe in the case of an active shooter or emergency event.
- 1 – 3 p.m.: Trek Bike Store (Healy Lawn) will demonstrate how to properly lock your bike and do basic bike repair. They will hold a raffle for bike accessories.
Thursday, November 11
- 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Officer Meet and Greet/Tabling (Red Square) with GUPD Crime Prevention and the Office of Emergency Management. Hot chocolate, water, Powerade, fruit and snacks will be provided to students who stop by to learn about safety and crime prevention.
- 2 – 4 p.m.: Tabling/CPR Demo with GERMS (Red Square)
- 2 – 4 p.m.: Field Day Activities (Red Square). GUPD & the Office of Emergency Management will be hosting games and activities for students, including Corn Hole.
- 9 p.m. – 12 a.m.: Safe-Rides Trivia Challenge (Red Square). Participate in the Trivia Challenge when taking advantage of Safe Rides on Thursday night. There will be giveaways for contestants.
Friday, November 12
- 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Officer Meet and Greet/Tabling (Red Square) with GUPD Crime Prevention and the Office of Emergency Management. Hot chocolate, water, Powerade, fruit and snacks will be provided to those who stop by to learn about safety, crime prevention and our Coat Drive.
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Safety Bike Ride (meet in Red Square). Join GUPD for a fun, casual ride on the Crescent trail and Georgetown waterfront area (weather permitting). Bring a bag lunch.
Thank you for your work to make our campus a safe living and learning environment.
Chief of Police
Associate Vice President for Public Safety