<p>Visit the <a href="https://www.georgetown.edu/operating-status">operating status page</a> for information on the university's current operating status.</p>
View of stained glass with the Georgetown University seal

Hurricane FAQ for Students and Others on Campus

We know that many of you have questions about what will happen if weather conditions worsen due to Hurricane Florence. Please know the safety of students and everyone on campus is our first priority. We’ve answered some frequently asked questions on this topic below and will continue to update this section of the site.

Safety tips in the event of a hurricane:

  • Stay inside.
  • During the peak of the storm, for maximum protection, you should close all doors and remain in interior hallways.
  • Stay away from dangers such as glass windows and unsecured furniture or objects.
  • Do not attempt to travel between floors, but if you must, use the stairs.
  • Do not attempt to open windows or doors to see what is happening outside.

Important numbers:

  • Residential Living: (202) 687.4560
  • Facilities Work Management Center: (202) 687.3432
  • Georgetown University Police: (202) 687.4343
  • Office of Neighborhood Life: (202) 687.5138 
  • GERMS: (202) 687.4357
  • D.C. Metropolitan Police Department: Dial 911 for emergencies, Dial 311 for non-emergencies

How will I be notified of the University operating status?

  • All members of the Georgetown community will receive an emergency notification from HOYAlert via email, SMS and voice messaging.
  • Check the University operating status web page
  • Contact your RA or Community Director for updates.

What should I do if my residence loses power?

If power goes out, emergency power will operate life safety systems (fire alarms, emergency lights, and one elevator per building) by generator. All other electricity will be off.

In the event of 100% loss of power to the building, you will be instructed on where to proceed by your RA, GUPD or other University employees.

What can I do to prepare if I live off campus?

Review these general tips for preparing at home

We recommend that you have flashlights and extra batteries on hand. Please do not use candles, as they are a potential fire hazard. We also recommend that you have non-perishable food items and bottles of water. Please secure or take indoors any items that are outdoors near your home and that could blow away in windy conditions (e.g., outdoor furniture, trash cans, recycling bins). The Office of Neighborhood Life can be contacted at (202) 687.5138 or neighborhoodlife@georgetown.edu.

What should I do if I live off campus and I lose power or notice leaks/damage?

If you lose power, report the outage to your service provider:

  • PEPCO: 1 (877) 737.2662
  • BG&E: 1 (800) 685.0123
  • Dominion Power: 1 (866) 366.4357

You'll want to have your account number ready if you need to call. Weather permitting, you are welcome to come to the Leavey Center. University staff will be available there.

If you notice leaks in your residence or any other storm-related issues regarding the condition of your house/apartment, please contact your landlord or property manager immediately.

Will there still be classes?

As a reminder, instructional continuity is a policy that allows faculty and students to maintain learning activities and academic work during disruptions, such as inclement weather or university closures. Students, when circumstances prevent on-campus instruction, please be prepared to participate in the alternate instructional activities planned by faculty members instead of attending face-to-face in class. If you have questions about instructional continuity in your classes, please contact your professors.

For the most up-to-date information on operating statuses, please call the university operating status line at (202) 687-SNOW (7669) or visit the university operating status webpage. During inclement weather the university will operate under one of the following statuses:

  1. Open
  2. Open with liberal leave and instructional continuity
  3. Open with delayed arrival, instructional continuity and liberal leave
  4. Closed with instructional continuity; essential services for campus residents
  5. Closed with instruction suspended; essential services for campus residents
  6. Early departure with instructional continuity; essential services for campus residents

What will happen if a tornado is spotted in the area? What should I do?

We will issue a HOYAlert for a tornado warning when a tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. Seek shelter immediately in the lowest level building available. If there is no basement, go to the center of an interior room on the lowest level (closet, interior hallway) away from corners, windows, doors, and outside walls. Put as many walls as possible between you and the outside. Get under a sturdy table and use your arms to protect your head and neck. Do not open windows.

What should I do if I see a downed power line or downed trees?

From PEPCO: "If you see a downed power line, stay away from it. Assume that all downed power lines are live and extremely dangerous. Don’t touch any person or object that is in contact with a power line; the current could flow through you. Immediately call the emergency service number at 1-877-PEPCO-62 (1-877) 737.2662 and press 2 to report downed wires. Call 911 only if there is an associated emergency such as a fire, automobile accident or, if medical assistance is required."

D.C. Citizens are asked to call 311 to report any downed trees or branches in the public space and to provide as much detail as possible. Alternatively, go to the Service Request Center at http://311.dc.gov/

What should I do if water leaks into my work area?

If you work in an area that has been known to encounter past leaks from water intrusion, please take time to either relocate both sensitive equipment and hazardous materials away from known areas of concern or cover with plastic in the event the heavy rain results in water infiltration. As an added precaution, please survey lab areas and secure research materials as needed [e.g. ensure chemicals, are safely away from the edge of shelving]. Employees who work within labs should refrain from using the autoclaves and x-ray film processors to reduce the burden on drainage systems.