“Close Contact” or Exposure Testing
Asymptomatic individuals who have been exposed to, informed that they are a close contact of, or believe they have been in close contact with or potentially exposed to, somebody who has tested positive for COVID-19 should complete the COVID-19 Check-In survey to indicate their exposure, and should get tested according to CDC recommendations.Back to Top
Free COVID-19 testing is available on demand on Georgetown’s campuses via Shield T3 COVID-19 PCR test vending machines at no charge to University community members.Back to Top
Antigen testing will continue to be available free of charge in certain situations, when appropriate. Please contact a Care Navigator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Back to Top
How to Get Tested on Campus
Register for Shield T3 COVID-19 PCR Testing
- Go to the COVID-19 Testing Portal (which you can also access via the GU360 mobile app) and log in using your Georgetown NetID and password, using Duo two-factor identification.
- Enter your date of birth to confirm your identity, and sign the consent form to allow your test results to be shared with Georgetown’s Public Health team.
- After registering, you can click the “Profile” tab in the dropdown menu to update your address and mobile phone number as needed. You will be required to provide this contact information before you register your first test kit. On the “Profile” page, you will also have the option to disable and enable receiving text messages regarding your test results.
How to Order, Take and Submit Your Test
You can order and retrieve your test from the vending machines at any time the building is open. Samples are collected from the drop box at 4 p.m. Monday – Friday (holidays excepted—see schedule below). Do not take or submit a test between 4 p.m. on Friday and 4 p.m. on Saturday because your sample will not be collected in time for it to be processed accurately by the lab.
To order, take and submit your test, proceed to a COVID-19 test vending machine and:
- Use your smartphone to scan the “Step 1: Portal Login” QR code on the vending machine, log in to the testing portal, and click “Get a Shield T3 COVID-19 Test”.
- Note: If you do not have a smartphone, or have accessibility issues with the test vending or testing process, please email the Public Health team at email@example.com for assistance.
- Using your smartphone, scan the “Step 2: Dispense Test” QR code on the vending machine screen. Collect your test kit, which will be dispensed at the bottom of the machine.
- Note: Check for your kit even if you don’t hear it being dispensed because the machine is quiet.
- Find a private space away from other people, and take the test using the instructions included in the kit.
- Register your test kit in the testing portal by clicking “COVID Test Self Collect Activation” and entering the specimen number and kit number on your vial. You will be asked to provide/confirm your address and mobile phone number at this time if you have not done so yet.
- Collect your test sample.
- Wipe the vial with the alcohol wipe provided.
- Place the absorbent material and test vial into the small biohazard bag and seal it tightly.
- Drop the biohazard bag in the drop box next to the vending machine.
- Please recycle the plastic testing funnel and dispose of the other materials.
You can watch this Shield T3 instructional video for a full overview of the testing process.
Summer and Fall Semester Holidays (No Sample Collection)
- Monday, June 19
- Tuesday July 4
- Monday, September 4
- Thursday, November 23
- Friday, November 24
- Monday, December 25
You will be notified that your test result is available in the testing portal by email and by SMS text (if you provided a cell phone number). Log in to the portal, and click “COVID Test Results”. Georgetown’s Public Health team will also be notified of your test result and will be in touch with you if you receive a positive result or an inconclusive result.Back to Top
Where to Get Tested on Campus
Shield T3 COVID-19 Test Vending Machine Locations (Location Map)
- Main Campus
- Located in the Leavey Center South Gallery hallway near the Faculty Club & Restaurant, accessed via Sellinger Lounge.
- Law Center: Located in the Ginsburg Sport & Fitness Center near the bookstore entrance.
Community members may choose to schedule a test with a third-party healthcare provider. Payment for third-party testing is your responsibility. If you receive a positive test result from a third-party provider (i.e., not from a Shield T3 test) or at-home antigen test, please report your result through the COVID-19 Test Result Submission form.Back to Top