Search Committee for New Provost Appointed
November 14, 2011 – Georgetown President John J. DeGioia recently appointed a search committee to lead the effort to recruit the university’s next provost.
Wayne Davis, professor of philosophy, is chair of the 17-member committee, which includes faculty, university leaders and students.
“We’re looking forward to finding a leader with the right academic credentials and administrative experience who will be eager to carry on with the university’s Catholic and Jesuit traditions while helping the deans carry out their missions as well as the faculty,” Davis said.
James O’Donnell decided to step down as provost at the end of the 2011-2012 academic year after nearly a decade in the position. He will continue at Georgetown as a full-time classics professor.
“I am deeply grateful to [O’Donnell] for his longstanding dedication to our community, and I look forward to working with him through this academic year,” DeGioia said in an August statement announcing the provost’s decision.
Edward Quinn, university secretary, will provide staff support for the search committee and coordinate the process.
“I and the committee are happy to hear from the university community as we go through this process,” Davis said. “We want to make the process as inclusive as possible.”
The provost search committee comprises:
- Jane Aiken, professor of law and director of the community justice project
- Barbara Bayer, professor and chair of neuroscience
- Maria Donoghue, associate professor of biology
- David Edelstein, associate professor of foreign service
- James Freericks, professor and chair of physics
- Jeanne Lord, associate vice president of student affairs
- Angelyn Mitchell, associate professor of English and director of the African American Studies Program
- Keith Ord, professor of business
- Cristina Sanz, professor of Spanish and Portuguese and co-director of the Center for Brain Basis of Cognition
- Christopher Steck, S.J., associate professor of theology
- Angela Stent, professor of government and director of the Center for Eurasian, Russian and East European Studies
- David Thomas, dean and William R. Berkley Chair of the McDonough School of Business
- Matthew Tinkcom, associate professor of communication, culture and technology
- Francis Vella, professor and chair of economics
- Edilma Yearwood, associate professor of nursing
- Bridget Power (C’12), American studies major
- Althea Arnold (G’13), student in the Georgetown Public Policy Institute