Obama Talks Energy Security at Georgetown Wednesday
March 29, 2011 – President Barack Obama will speak on energy security at Georgetown March 30 at 11:15 a.m. in McDonough Arena.
The talk, open to students, faculty and staff at Georgetown, will be broadcast in real time on the university website and also will be available for viewing on campus cable Channel 2.
Obama spoke at the university while still a senator from Illinois in September 2006 on energy independence and returned as president in April 2009 to talk about economic policy.
Tickets for the speech will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at 6 p.m. today. They will be handed out in the Georgetown Athletic Hall of Fame, located at the end of the South Gallery Hallway in the Leavey Center.
Students, faculty and staff must present a valid Georgetown ID to pick up a ticket, and only one ticket will be allowed per person. Doors open at 9 a.m. and close at 11 a.m. and no bags, backpacks, purses or signs will be permitted in McDonough Arena.
Access to campus will be limited on Wednesday morning due to necessary security arrangements. We are working with law enforcement authorities to address logistical issues and minimize impacts, but you should allow extra travel time for your morning commute. Expect delays getting to campus and plan for the following between 6 a.m. and 12 p.m.:
- Drivers are encouraged to enter campus from Reservoir Road or Prospect St. Keep in mind that there is still no campus connection between Reservoir Road and Prospect St.
- Only vehicles parking in the Southwest Garage will be permitted to enter the Canal Road entrance from 6 a.m. until 12 p.m.
- The Southwest Garage will be open, but drivers should expect delays.
- Vehicles exiting the Southwest Garage between 6 a.m. and noon must exit at the north side of the garage to the North Road across from the athletic field. You may then exit campus only via Prospect St. If your normal exit is Canal Road, you must exit via Prospect St.
- GUTS buses will continue to run, but please expect delays. The GUTS bus stop near the Jesuit Residence will be relocated to the corner of West Road and North Road until noon.
- Deliveries for O’Donovan and Wolfington halls may enter at Canal Road to their loading docks in the Southwest Garage.
We expect traffic patterns to return to normal by the middle of the day on Wednesday.