School of Nursing & Health Studies Dean Search
Message from the Executive Vice President for Health Sciences
I am happy to announce that Russell Reynolds Associates will serve as our executive search firm for the decanal search process for the School of Nursing & Health Studies. This well-established organization has recruited top academic leadership in the health fields. Some of the firm’s related placements include Salk Institute’s President, Dr. William R. Brody; Stony Brook University’s President, Dr. Samuel L. Stanley Jr.; Tulane University’s Senior Vice President and Dean of the Medical School, Dr. Benjamin P. Sachs; and University at Buffalo School of Nursing’s Dean, Dr. Jean Brown.
Ilene H. Nagel, who leads the firm’s Higher Education Practice, and Mary Tydings, Managing Director of its Not-For-Profit Sector, will serve as search consultants. University Secretary Edward M. Quinn will continue to coordinate the search process for the University.
The search committee, chaired by James Welsh, M.D., Assistant Vice President for Student Health and Chair of the Department of Family Medicine, convened earlier this year. In the coming weeks, Dr. Welsh will be providing background material to the firm in order to ensure that the search committee can expeditiously begin its work in the fall semester. The search firm plans a visit to campus in late August during which there will be opportunities for faculty engagement with the process. Members of the community will receive notice well in advance of the visit.
In the meantime, the search committee invites all faculty members to submit nominations and to share their opinions on the future of NHS, search priorities, and candidate characteristics. Send all correspondence—c/o NHS Dean Search Committee—to: gusnhsdean@RussellReynolds.com.
On behalf of President DeGioia and the Medical Center community, I extend my deepest gratitude to Dr. Julie DeLoia for her service as Interim Dean of NHS, as well as to Dr. Welsh and the search committee for their important work to identify a preeminent leader to serve as the next NHS Dean.
Howard J. Federoff, M.D., Ph.D.
Executive Vice President for Health Sciences
and Executive Dean
Members of the Search Committee
- James Welsh, M.D., Assistant Vice President for Student Health and Chair of the Department of Family Medicine, Chair of the search committee;
- Timothy Barbari, Ph.D., Dean & Associate Provost for Research, Georgetown University;
- Laura Anderko, R.N., Ph.D., Associate Professor & the Robert and Kathleen Scanlon Endowed Chair in Values Based Health Care, NHS;
- Jeffrey Collmann, Ph.D., Director, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law;
- Patricia Cloonan, Ph.D., Interim Chair & Associate Professor, Department of Health Systems, NHS;
- Kenneth Dretchen, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmacology, GUMC;
- Kevin Durbin, NHS Student Representative and Officer on NHS Academic Council;
- Kathryn Ellis, MSN, Program Director, Family Nurse Practitioner Program, NHS;
- Maria Gomez, R.N., MPH, CEO and Founder, Mary's Center for Maternal and Child Care, Washington, DC;
- Kenneth Kellar, Ph.D., Professor of Pharmacology (Faculty Senate appointment), GUMC; Bernard Liese, M.D., D.Sc., M.P.H., Chair, Department of International Health, NHS;
- Colleen Norton, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Nursing Department, NHS;
- Peter Pfeiffer, Ph.D., Professor of German (Faculty Senate appointment), Georgetown University;
- Sharon Ramey, Ph.D., Professor of Human Science, Georgetown University;
- Edilma Yearwood, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Nursing Department, NHS.
To learn more about the position, click here.