Using your VA Education Benefits at Georgetown
Here are the steps in the certification process for Main Campus students who want to use their VA Education Benefits at Georgetown. Please contact the Veterans Office if you have any questions or need assistance. Students at the Law Center, Medical School, or Center for Continuing and Professional Education should contact the Certifying Official at their campus to use their benefits.
- Apply for VA Education Benefits using the VONAPP online application. The VA will then mail you a Certificate of Eligibility. Although it often arrives more quickly, it can take up to 8 weeks to receive. Plan accordingly.
- Upon receipt of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, submit a copy of it to the Georgetown University Veterans Office at email@example.com or fax it to (202) 687-2797.
- If you are eligible for and would like to receive funding under the Yellow Ribbon component of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, your Certificate of Eligibility must reflect that you have a 100% rate of eligibility and are not on active duty nor using the transferred benefit of a spouse that is on active duty. Priority is given to returning students. Graduate students at the McDonough School of Business must explicitly request a Yellow Ribbon slot and receive confirmation of being assigned a slot as the benefit is limited for their programs.
- Prior to the start of each semester (June, November, and April), the Veterans Office will send an email to all students who have submitted a Certificate of Eligibility. This email will include a link to the Georgetown Veterans Benefits Request form and instructions for completing it.
- The student must fill out the Veterans Benefits Request Form indicating the benefits being requested, the number of credits to be completed for the term, and the term dates (available on MyAccess). Students must submit the BRF no later than the first day of the academic semester for which they're requesting benefits. This form must be submitted for each term the student wishes to use their VA benefits.
- The enrollment data and Yellow Ribbon information will be submitted to the VA for processing starting in August for the Fall term and in December for the Spring term. Tuition payments usually arrive 2-4 weeks after submission, but be prepared for delays. Monthly payments that go to the student normally begin in October and occur around the 1st of every month to be paid for the month preceding.
- Because payments from the VA to the school often arrive after tuition bills are due, the student must ensure that any portion of their bill that will not be covered by the VA is paid by the due date. The Office of Billing and Payment Services will work with the student to ensure delayed VA payments do not result in late fees or service charges as long as any remaining amount has been paid on time. Please contact Jon Hendrix, firstname.lastname@example.org, (202) 687-4217 in Student Accounts.
The application process for students who wish to use the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Voc-Rehab, Ch 31) is different. For more information, please contact the Veterans Office at (202) 687-2708 and visit the VA website at http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/.