Skip to main content

Using your VA Education Benefits at Georgetown

Here are the steps in the certification process for Main Campus students who want to use their VA Education Benefits at Georgetown.  Please contact the Veterans Office if you have any questions or need assistance. Students at the Law Center, Medical School, or Clarendon Campus should contact the Certifying Official at their campus to use their benefits.

  1. Apply for VA Education Benefits using the VONAPP online application. The VA will then mail you a Certificate of Eligibility. Although it often arrives more quickly, it can take up to 8 weeks to receive. Plan accordingly.
  2. Upon receipt of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, submit a copy of it to the Georgetown University Veterans Office at or fax it to (202) 687-2797.
  3. If you are eligible for and would like to receive funding under the Yellow Ribbon component of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, include with your Certificate of Eligibility a written request that contains your nine digit GU ID #, the name of your academic program and school, and your contact information. The Yellow Ribbon Program is limited to students with a 100% rate of eligibility who are not on active duty and are not using the transferred benefit of a spouse that is on active duty. Priority is given to returning students.
  4. When tuition bills are posted to student accounts prior to the start of each semester, the Veterans Office will send an email to all students who have submitted a Certificate of Eligibility. This email will include the Georgetown Veterans Benefits Request form and instructions for completing it.
  5. Once the student’s class schedule is finalized, the student must fill out the Veterans Benefits Request Form (coming soon) indicating the benefits being requested, the number of credits to be completed for the term, and the actual tuition and fees charged to the student (available on MyAccess). Students must email the form to, fax it to (202) 687-2797, or drop it off in Car Barn 224. This form must be submitted for each term the student wishes to use their VA benefits.
  6. The enrollment data and Yellow Ribbon information will be submitted to the VA for processing starting in August for the Fall term and in December for the Spring term.  Tuition payments usually arrive 2-4 weeks after submission, but be prepared for delays.  Monthly payments that go to the student normally begin in October and occur around the 1st of every month to be paid for the month preceding.
  7. Because payments from the VA to the school often arrive after tuition bills are due, the student must ensure that any portion of their bill that will not be covered by the VA is paid by the due date. The Office of Student Accounts will work with the student to ensure delayed VA payments do not result in late fees or service charges as long as any remaining amount has been paid on time. Please contact Jon Hendrix,, (202) 687-4217 or Maurice Tiadem,, (202) 687-3696 in Student Accounts.

The application process for students who wish to use the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Voc-Rehab, Ch 31) is different. For more information, please contact the Veterans Office at (202) 687-2708 and visit the VA website at

Georgetown University37th and O Streets, N.W., Washington D.C. 20057(202) 687.0100

Connect with us via: