Georgetown’s history department is focused on educating strong scholars committed to understanding diverse nations and cultures in a global context. Thanks to an unusually diverse array of regional specializations among our faculty, we offer classes spanning the globe.
We are strong in U.S. and European history and offer notable depth in Russia and Eastern Europe; the Middle East, Arab and Islamic domains; East Asia; Latin America and Africa. In contrast, our approach to transnational history takes the form of studying thematic areas of inquiry whose subjects, such as migration, gender and environmental history, by definition transcend political frontiers.
Through Georgetown College, the Walsh School of Foreign Service and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences we offer bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in history. Outside the classroom, our students have unparalleled opportunities to expand their investigations of the past with access to a wide array of international speakers, high-quality museums and extensive archives in Washington, D.C.
- Bachelor of Arts in American Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in History
- Bachelor of Arts in Medieval Studies
- Master of Arts in Global International Comparative History
- Master of Arts in Global History with King's College London
- Master of Arts in History
- Doctor of Philosophy in History
Minors and Certificate Programs
- Department of History